It challenges the traditional idea that a charger should be hidden away. Instead, it celebrates the thought that for a charger to be useful, it needs to be easily accessible and central, and for it to be central it needs to be beautiful. With its timeless spherical design, it can serve both as a contrast piece as well as a discreet detail in the home or in professional surroundings. Removing redundant cable from sight is another key to the charging station concept. Each attached cable can be adjusted in length by hiding portions of it inside. This way, Globis provides a sense of calm order despite charging many devices simultaneously. Naturally, Globis makes no compromises in regard to safety, energy efficiency and charging speed.
Read the full story about the Globis case below.
Back the product on Kickstarter: www.glob.is
Wanted: A stylish, sustainable and safe charging station.
Offered: Creative company with ambition to develop products missing on the market.
Results: Globis – an intelligent charging station that is more than just a charger
So could one describe a part of the progress in the development of Globis which is now getting ready for the consumer market. The globe shaped charger was invented on a request from one of the Nordic countries largest electronic chains.
– When the Norweigan consumer electronic chain Elkjøp contacted us and asked if we could develop a secure charging station with a timeless design, I said YES immediately, says Johan Thelander, one of the founders of the company Universal Creation AB. Johan and his team had collaborated with WSI in other development projects. He knew immediately that WSI was the right partner when it came to design of the electronics and software in Globis, which at the time had not yet received its final shape.
Flexibility and professionalism
Behind the design of Globis stands the industrial design company Carl&Carl, yet another creative small company with offices in Berlin and Copenhagen where designers Gustaf Wollin and Thomas Albertsen are in charge. Eleven draft shapes were scaled down to one that eventually became Globis which officially saw the light early in 2016.
– Somewhere there the electronics came in. Now we were in a rush. Globis was supposed to hit the shelves of Elkjøps the same year. I knew Tomas Lannér and his team at WSI was the very best at building secure electronics and softwares that would work for Globis. WSI’s professionalism and flexibility in combination with the professional reception are unbeatable when you have an idea of a product that will become reality on the market. In our discussions during the development phase, we concluded that a small microprocessor was needed for e.g. monitoring of heat and power.
Already in May, WSI’s close collaboration with Universal Creation AB succeeded in developing a prototype that Elkjøp staff got to test for the first time. They liked Globis!
Collaboration that works all the way
– When several companies are involved in a development process, all links must be held closely together. I have been responsible for the design development together with Carl&Carl, at the same time as being the bridge between WSI and our producers in Taiwan. Everyone has done their best to succeed together. Our amibition has been to produce a charging station that is extremely stylish and safe at the same time. Without WSI´s commitment and expertise, we would never have managed to produce one of the safest charging stations on the market, says Johan Thelander happily.
The world is full of dangerous chargers for mobile phones and other screens. WSI has developed the electronics and software in the new super-safe charging unit Globis. Tomas Lannér, HW architect at WSI, tells us more about the design charger which will soon enter our homes.
What is so special about Globis except its shape?
– A standard USB-charger for one device can handle 10 W. Globis has six outputs that handle the same strength in power supply to as many devices at once. Thanks to the chargers saving mode, so called Energy Star function*, Globis is also environmentally friendly as it uses little energy when mobile phones or other devices are not connected. WSI has managed to create a perfect balance between efficiency and saving mode using a built in microcontroller that controls the functions of Globis.
Why is Globis safer than other chargers?
– It has extremely good over current protection and is short circuit safe. The voltage out of Globis is very stable**, which means that the devices connected charge faster than normal. Globis accompanying cables from Unisynk are short and robust. The combination of Globis and the Unisynk cords remove the risk of voltage loss, which is often a problem with products of poor quality.
Intelligent and smart
Globis is an intelligent charger in the way of always sensing when something inside is too heated. Then the charger is automatically temporarily turned off. A diode with orange light “breathes” when Globis is active, and then goes out to mark when in saving mode. The light indicator is also a proof of Globis saving energy and not wasting power when unnecessary. Both economical and safe at the same time.
– I promise that Globis can stay in the sun on a window sill, connected with devices in the middle of the summer without something going wrong. If the charger overheats, the security system starts right away and Globis is temporarily turned off. As soon as the danger is over, the intelligent Globis is started automatically. Globis is built to withstand pressures beyond the standard, says Thomas Lannér who is responsible for the design of the electronics and software in Globis.
Fast from start to finish
WSI began working on the electronics for Globis in the turn of the year 2015/2016. Several prototypes were built in consultation with UNCR and other companies involved in the project, before the production of Globis finally began for the final consumers.
Read more about WSI´s collaboration process the WSI Way.
You find all the technical data on Globis here
* = Energy label in order to reduce energy consumption. Behind the label is the American energy authority EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency)
** = Stable voltage level with low noise which results in stable and safe power to the connected devices
Built from solid gravity die-cast aluminum, Globis ensures that timeless design can be a part of the function. Aluminum gives both an exclusive appearance and a tactile experience, while providing superior cooling for the power conversion. On the inside, everything is held together by a clever structure of high quality flame-resistant plastic that provides both strengthened safety and practical cable management. Globis stands firmly on a gentle non-scratching disc of silicone, preventing it to slide around.
Each USB port can handle the unprecedented 2.8 A, with a maximum of 65 W total. To achieve this, Globis has a two step power conversion structure: Firstly, the alternating current from the wall outlet is converted to a direct current of a lower voltage by an external powerful high quality adapter that is normally provided with computers. Secondly, a custom built highly optimized converter with exceptional efficiency provides the voltage required for USB charging at completely stable level all the way up to full current throughput.
A recent key concern regarding charging is safety. All the measures possible have been taken to provide a holistic safety concept. With the external adapter, the high voltage is kept outside the charger and out of reach. The adapter, the internal converter and each individual USB port has the following independent auto-shutdown safety mechanisms: overvoltage detection, overcurrent detection, short circuit detection and over tempereature detection.
To get a product from concept to reality is a complex and arduous process. WSI can assist you by offering customized product design services that best fit your business requirements. Our experience and expertise in this industry offer you a number of advantages.Contact us